Saturday, August 20, 2011

Lesson #1 on the Peanut Free Journey

Several weeks ago, I gave Lydia her first peanut butter sandwich (what kid does not enjoy peanut butter sandwiches!). She thoroughly enjoyed this tasty treat. She had peanut butter up her arms, all over her face, hair, and most of all in her tummy. As I was cleaning her up I realized she had a rash all over her face.



This tasty lunch was enjoyed. Can see the rash starting already :(

It was an art project too! 

Long story short, after a phone call to her doctor, a dose of Benadryl, and a nice long nap we decided Lydia really needed to go visit an allergist. The allergist confirmed what I was thinking but was REALLY hoping I was wrong. Lydia is allergic to peanuts.

Lesson #1 on the Peanut Free Journey
Lydia is well aware of what others around her are eating and she wants a piece of it! 



Soon after this discovery we went out to eat with friends. I did my research and found that this restaurant did not have peanuts in the main entrees. The desserts were made off site and did have the chance of having come in contact with peanuts. I knew going into this meal that the kid meals at this restaurant came with dessert. I knew that desserts at restaurants are not peanut free. I did due diligence at home and could not find a similar dessert that was peanut free BUT I did find animal crackers. So I packed animal crackers and away we went. I ordered Lydia her meal and substituted her dessert for a VEGGIE (smart choices - I was rejoicing over how nutritious her meal was going to be!). Lydia enjoyed her meal. She even ate the veggies. I gave her animal crackers and scooted her farther away from her friend who was going to be eating the cookie soon. I am thinking to myself - this is not that bad. She loves animal crackers.

AND then Lydia sees that she is eating animal crackers and her friend is eating CHOCOLATE! The animal crackers no longer looked as great. The child wanted the cookie.

Needless to say, Lydia and I took a walk. And I learned a valuable lesson that day. The child is no longer oblivious to what others are eating (seriously we have eaten cookies infront of this child for 14 months now and the last several of those months we give her a small bite and then RAISINS!).

Oh, and in the event that you are wondering. Oreos are peanut free!

No comments:

Post a Comment