Thursday, August 16, 2012

Probably No

Lydia received an opportunity to go to a music class. I read about the music class and thought "oh, Lydia would LOVE this class". And then I read the time - 11AM. Oh my! That is Lydia's scheduled melt down. Every day. I can set my watch by this melt down (the only way we can avoid the melt down is if we are at home and reading books or doing another very calm activity).

After thinking about it I decided Lydia is getting older and able to make more choices. So I will just ask her what she thinks about doing a music class with her friends right before lunch.

I showed Lydia the class information and talked to her about what the class would be like. Told her which friends might be there. Yes, she would like to take the class. (DUH - I already knew the answer to that question!).

Then I told Lydia that the class is right before lunch and she would need to listen and obey the teacher AND Mom. I asked her if she thought she could listen and obey before lunch. Lydia stopped to think a minute and I could see her really considering this. Then the answer: head shaking no, eyebrows arched, and I was informed "probably no".

With a response like that I think we will wait a couple more months (and continue to work on making good choices with the 11AM hour!) before trying a lunch time activity that doesn't involve food!

No comments:

Post a Comment