Tuesday, September 20, 2011

First Time Out

Vegetables are not our favorite thing around here. Necessary evil. We have a few favorites (hurray!). But a little one can not live on sweet potatoes and corn alone. Can we say variety???

In a quest to have variety of vegetables and not raise a picky eater, several nights a week I give Lydia a favorite veggie AND veggie that is not yet a favorite.

We were eating broccoli. I know broccoli is not our favorite veggie and I also know that I have a teething baby on my hands. So I did not have high hopes for the two pieces of broccoli that I put on the child's plate.

Piece One: Tasted, spit out, and then thrown to the floor. James then kindly but firmly tells Lydia no. Typically this results in tears and a dramatic moment but this particular night Lydia got a little smirk on her face, gleam in her eye, and THEN...

Piece Two: Stabbed with a fork, taken off the fork, "smooshed" in our hand, and then HURLED across the room (let me say, the child may have baseball pitcher in future with that arm).

With that same smirk on her face and gleam in her eye, she clearly was testing to see what would happen.

Lydia's lesson of the day: When you throw food across the room, you get to sit on the step and think about your choices for a moment.

Now she knows what will happen. Thankfully, she has not on purpose thrown food again. (Some food still slides off the fork - true mystery how this 20lb creature can make such a mess!).

No comments:

Post a Comment