Friday, May 20, 2011

Disposal

At 10:00 at night, the only thing that I want to do is set off the dishwasher and go to bed. Quietly so as not to wake the baby. As luck would have it I reach into the cabinet to get the dishwasher soap and realize the bottle is soaking wet. Dripping. And stinky. Being the woman that I am, I set off the dishwasher anyway. Clean the counters. And ask James if he would like to know about the leak under the sink now or in the morning (I really would like him to say in the morning!). Ofcourse, being the man that he is he can not rest until the sink is fixed. So at 10:15 at night we are cleaning out the cabinet (had been meaning to do that for weeks - so maybe this was a good thing) and discovering that the disposal is toast.

The words no wife wants to hear "I think I know how to fix it. We can save money by doing it myself."

In my mind, I remember the faucet episode of a couple months ago (was going to take an hour TOPS - six hours, pizza dinner, baby who couldn't sleep due to the noise in the house, and frustration for all we had a non-leaky faucet).

I try to convince James that a plumber can't be that expensive and it is worth it to just let the professional do it.

James then tells me that his friend can come over and help (I remember the insulation project that was only going to take 3 hours at the VERY most - let's just say that was a very LONG three hours!).

So after much debate, we called the plumber. My jaw fell when the plumber told us that it would be ~$400 for him to fix the disposal AND the plumber was going to put in the same exact disposal that had given us so much trouble.

I agreed and James fixed the disposal. I am happy to report that this project took one hour - from start to finish! The moral of the story leaky faucets are really not a big deal and can leak until the end of time. Insulation is a long messy project and thankfully we will not have to do it again for a long time. But the disposal - no deal - it can break anytime it wants!

Look the cabinet is clean! 

Examining the pieces... 

Hmmmm, what should I do first?

The old disposal... 

Lydia contemplating how to get in on this action! 

No comments:

Post a Comment