Monday, November 14, 2011

Saga of Purchasing a Kitchen Table

Some things I figure will be simple. Buying a kitchen table, I thought would be simple. Find the one you like, pay for it, arrange to get the perfect table home, and prepare a lovely home made meal to eat at the table. Easy peasy right???

Well, a month ago we found the perfect table. Paid for it. And began waiting. Table was supposed to arrive in 14 days. A little slow on the delivery, but ok. A week before the table is supposed to arrive, I get an email stating that the table is back ordered - 3 weeks now. Really slow delivery but ok. A week later, I get an email stating that the table has shipped! Whoohoo!!!!!!! Three days later I realize my credit card has been charged and the tracking number is incorrect. No deal. I call the company to get the correct tracking number. Long story and many phone calls later, the company has NO idea where the table is, NO idea what the tracking number is, NO idea when the table might arrive, and after many more phone calls the company finally cancels the order.

So now we are 1 month into this saga and have no table.

I go back to Craigslist and still can't find a table with any life left in it (not interested in bringing home a project right now!).

I go back to the Internet. Increase how much money I am willing to spend. And resume my search. I come back empty handed.

And then my husband finds a similar table that we had ordered from company A at a different store for less money. My husband unwilling to stop at a good deal, continues searching for other discounts to company B. In the end, we are purchasing similar table that we wanted for $100 less than we were purchasing the table originally.

We then decided that since the table was going to be coming in three different orders, we could just pick up the items ourselves - no need to rent a truck! The comical part of this decision is my husband drives a Nissan Sentra and I drive a Saturn.

Picking up the bench was not a deal at all. Flat box. Fit perfectly in the trunk of my husband's car.

The four chairs. First of all, I called the store to see if the chairs were assembled or not assembled in boxes (do we need to bring both cars or just one???). I was informed that the chairs were in boxes. I do a silent cheer that the chairs are not assembled. We drive to the store, pick up our items, and then the items are brought to the front of the store. Yes, the chairs are in boxes. Yes, the chairs are assembled. No, we can not take just two chairs home at a time. Yes, we have the Nissan, baby, and two adults. But, we got FOUR chairs, one baby with large car seat, and two adults inside the car.  No, we did not get any pictures. But I am sure that the high school student who got to walk these chairs out to our car is still laughing at the event!

The table... OH MY! James decided since the table was 5 feet long that it could easily fit in his Nissan :) Just to be safe, Lydia and I drove my car up with him so if needed one of us could stay with the table and one of us could go rent a truck. Just incase ;) The table comes out and doesn't fit in his car. After trying and trying and trying to get the table to fit by fitting the rectangle peg in the small square hole, the store employee volunteered his brother who has a TRUCK to come help. James reluctantly agrees. The employee's brother lives less than five minutes away and comes to the store to load the truck and take our table to our house. The brother was paid well and we got the table home :)

What I thought would be a super simple task, evolved into a much more complicated task. BUT we now have a kitchen table that can seat more than three people :)


No comments:

Post a Comment