Sunday, February 23, 2014

Happy Friday

Lydia is really really into making beautiful artwork and then giving said artwork to people. Usually people she knows but not always.

Friday night we ordered dinner from Pei Wei and Lydia decided that she needed to give a picture to the Pew Wei staff. Originally she had given me her artwork and I was supposed to take said artwork to the store and give it to the staff by myself. I convinced her to go with me ;)

As we were driving in the car I asked her what she was going to say when she gives the staff her picture. (Usually she gives the picture, giggles, and hides behind my legs!).

Lydia: I will tell them Happy Birthday
DeAnna: What if today isn't their birthday?
Lydia: Looooooooong pause. Ummmmmmm
DeAnna: Could you tell them I made you a special picture and tell them about the picture?
Lydia: No that is silly.
DeAnna: ok then what could you tell them that isn't silly?
Lydia: I will tell them Happy Friday!

We get to the store. She remembers said picture and proudly walks into the store. Lydia stands on tip toe to slide the picture across the counter and announces "Happy Friday because it isn't your birthday". I was super thankful for a staff member who was all about looking at the beautiful picture on a busy Friday night!

After we had our food and we are walking out the door Lydia turns around to announce to the store - hand on her hip and finger pointing, "Do NOT throw my picture away".

As we were driving home, Lydia reminded me about her strong personality. I hadn't seen her strong personality in a negative way in awhile so she caught me a bit off guard. But she is really cute anyway ;)

Lydia: sitting in the car wearing every necklace she could find in the car (doesn't everybody keep their best jewels tucked in corners of the car???)
"I will NOT wear my shoes".
DeAnna: That is fine. How do you think your feet will feel walking outside with out shoes?
Lydia: cold
DeAnna: I would think so. It rained today too. Do you think your feet might get wet?
Lydia: I will NOT wear my shoes.
DeAnna: Lydia that is perfectly fine. I need to carry the food inside so I won't be able to carry you inside.
Lydia: My feet will get muddy.
DeAnna: Your choice.
Lydia: And cold.
DeAnna: Still your choice. I am choosing to wear my shoes.
Lydia: I will NOT wear my shoes.
DeAnna: ok but I am finished with this conversation. What would you like to talk about now?
Lydia: arms crossed and declares once again - I will NOT wear my shoes.
DeAnna: turns the music on and continues driving while the 3 year old fumes that she was unable to pick a fight with her mom.

We pull into the driveway and Lydia makes her declaration once again. Once again I say ok. Lydia reminds me her feet will get cold and muddy. I remind her it is her choice and tell her we have washcloths to wash muddy feet. I take the food inside and take the trash out. Lydia is very gingerly walking into the house (the girl does not like cold or dirty feet!). Lydia then catches my eye before coming inside and reminds me she will NOT wear shoes. I agree to this. Lydia then stomps her feet in the sand pile by the front door with a gleam in her eye. I know deep down she is thinking "come on Mom fight with me!!!!!". She comes inside and I ask her to stay on the rug and give her a washcloth wet with hot water. 20 minutes later the sweetest little girl comes to join us at the table for dinner. Apparently her clean feet were still cold ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment