Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Goodbye Paci and Uncle Paul

Yesterday after Lydia's nap she woke up on a mission to go to Target. "We need paci Mom". Thankfully as the tears started to pool Lydia heard her friends outside, brushed her tears away, and went outside. The rest of the night - no tears. Slept all night without a peep.

I wanted to count my blessings on one hand but on the other hand we took away the paci and that seemed to be pretty important to her. Honestly I was a bit concerned.

But Lydia seemed fine. She got herself dressed in a Christmas dress and pink boots. Helped me make muffins. Played toys. And really was quite happy. So I was counting my blessings and we went to MOPS (a group at our church).

Then we walk in the doors of the church and Lydia decided she wanted to go to her old classroom. I told her she was a big girl and we walked to her new classroom while I am talking about all her friends and teachers who will be in her new class. And then the tears came. And not just any tears heart wrenching sobs. Hmmm, I think. Chalk it up to delayed paci tears and let her stay with me for a bit and then took her back to her class.

According to Lydia's teacher, she was tender but participated. In the car on the way home, Lydia told me about her sheep craft and that she cried. But would not elaborate on why she cried.

Over lunch the truth all came tumbling out (we have often said Lydia has a confessional over every meal!).

Lydia: I cried.
DeAnna: I know. Why?
Lydia: Paci bye bye. Never coming back.
DeAnna: Yes. You are a big girl. (I could tell she had more to say on the subject but she was much more interested in her fruit).
Lydia: Look grapes. Apples. No more strawberries.
DeAnna: More strawberries next summer.
Continue eating in silence.
Lydia: No old class.
DeAnna: You are a big girl and all your friends are in your new class. What do you like about your new class?
Lydia: No answer (Think Lydia and I need to chat later about her new class too but for now we will just let that one be!).
After a long pause:
Lydia: Told Uncle Paul bye. No hug.
DeAnna: You chose to be silly instead of hug Uncle Paul. Andrew, Bethany, and Aunt Dawn are going to be intown for a couple more weeks. We can play with them and I bet they will give a hug to Uncle Paul for you.
Lydia: ok. Uncle Paul bye bye. Never see.
DeAnna: (light bulb went off in my head!) We will defiantly see Uncle Paul again. You can call him. Email him. And he will visit. Maybe we will even visit Uncle Paul.

The conversation continued - apparently we also need to call some pacis later too! Moral of the story - saying bye to Uncle Paul on Sunday night and saying bye to the paci on Monday morning was a cruel thing for Mom and Dad to do. Lydia has been so nonchalant about Uncle Paul and family moving to CA that I assumed that was a foreign concept to the 2 year old (California vs. across town - are they really different to a 2 year old???). She understands and comprehends waaaaaay more than we give her credit for!

P.S. We really are very excited for Uncle Paul and his family. They are looking forward to their new adventure and new house. And Paul is looking forward to his new job doing the geek things that he really loves!   

No comments:

Post a Comment