Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Getting Out of the House Part I

Since James as gone back to work in a traditional work environment (i.e. he is no longer working from home in his PJs until late afternoon!) we have become more of an early morning family. Most days we are up, fed, dressed, work out completed, showered, and ready to go play by 9AM.

One morning a week though we have to be in the car pulling of the driveway by 8:40. So I tell myself 8:30 to give ample "extra" time. Really, this should not be a big deal. If I don't work out, then we have plenty of time. Right? Well, you would think so! Most weeks we are only a few minutes late. Which is fine because I have my 10 minute cushion.

Yesterday, we are awake, fed, dressed, shoes on, bags packed, and even changed the sheets on the bed by 8:15. Really too early to get on the road I congratulate myself and sit down to play with Lydia for a few minutes. Looking back, I should not have congratulated myself!

8:30 - I remember it is TUNNEL week in dance class and run upstairs to grab the tunnel.
8:32 - Lydia decides to change shoes (really, kiddo the brown shoes look beautiful with your outfit!).
8:35 - OOPPPPPSSSSS - forgot to label the sippy cup
8:40 - LATE - seriously how did this happen??? I decide I can make up the extra time by only making one trip to the car. Dance bag, purse, and diaper bag on one shoulder. Tunnel around neck. Labeled sippy cup and water bottle in the crook of my arm. Keys in one hand. Help Lydia out the front door. Lock the door. And remind Lydia that yes she really can walk down the steps.
8:45 - Lydia forgets how to walk down the steps and does a wonderful flip into the thorny flower bed. I drop all my stuff (yes, bean bags are now all over the front yard and there is a giant tunnel rolling towards my car!). Lydia's lip is gushing with blood. Find my keys. Unlock the door. Stop the bleeding. Give her a cold drink. Put her in the car. Find the bean bags. Put the tunnel away yet again.
Oh, and the neighbors have seen this dramatic show and just have to stop to their commentary ;)
9:01 - Pulling out of the neighborhood. Thinking I certainly will not be early to class BUT I will be right on time.
9:13 - Pulling into the daycare parking lot. This day of all days there is a line out the door of people checking in their children and one dear mother telling the manager all about her child's many allergies (which might I add the child has not even been to an allergist for an actual allergy test!).
9:27 - Back on the road. Thankful that the bleeding lip finally stopped and I am not a totally over the top parent of a kid with allergies!

Best news, I was a few minutes late to class but was there before all the students. Success!


No comments:

Post a Comment